REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture)
REDCap is a novel workflow methodology and software tool that expedites the electronic collection of research data from a single site or multi-site clinical and translational research study. The software supports a secure web-based application for developing fully functional case report forms (CRFs) and surveys.
For investigators conducting STSI sponsored clinical studies, REDCap provides:
• Ready access to centralized resources compliant with HIPAA best practices;
• Clinical report forms that can be implemented without the need for a programmer;
• Streamlined process for rapidly building and customizing a database or online survey (REDCap Survey);
• Full user authentication (log-on/password) and the ability to restrict users to specific studies and functions;
• Real-time data validation, integrity checks and other mechanisms, such as double-data entry options, for insuring data quality;
• Centralized, secure storage of research data with back-ups;
• Seamless data downloads to common statistical packages (including SPSS, SAS, Stata, and R) and to the .csv (comma separated values) format, the most common import and export format for spreadsheets and databases;
• De-identification options that can be applied to data exports to remove fields that contain notes and other information that could identify patient; and
• Advanced features such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
NIH’s Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) program provided the funding that allowed REDCap to expand beyond Vanderbilt University, where it was initiated and deployed for the first time. REDCap is now maintained by a consortium of over 200 U.S. and international institutions, including Scripps Health.
Detailed description of REDCap:
“Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)-A metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.” Harris, P.A., et. al. J Biomed Inform. 42(2): 377-381. 2009 April. PMCID: PMC2700030.
REDCap consortium website:
Investigators interested in using REDCap should contact:
Emily Spencer, Manager, Genomics Clinical Trials
858-554-5709; [email protected]