KL2 Clinician Scholar Pilot Awards
The Scripps Translational Science Institute’s (STSI) KL2 Pilot Study Award Program supports the development of preliminary data through translational research that has significant potential to impact human health. The program is a component of the NCATS KL2TR001112 Clinical Translational Science Award. Investigators currently enrolled in the STSI CTSA Clinician Scholar Program are eligible to apply.
Up to three grants will be awarded. Budgets are limited to $50K in direct costs. IDC will be added per institutional guidelines by the grants office.
Eligibility and Criteria for Review
KL2 Scholars at STSI are eligible to apply. All pilot projects must demonstrate a robust translational science and/or a clinical discipline liaison.
The application review criteria are:
- Multi-disciplinary; connecting basic and clinical science
- Likelihood of having an impact to change medicine
- Soundness of hypothesis, research methodology and statistical considerations
- Track record of the applicant and the co-investigator(s)
- Likelihood of leading to future independent funding and scientific publication
- Integration or impact of community engagement aspects into protocol design
Applications from individuals of under-represented minorities are highly encouraged.
There will be a 2-stage review process. The applications will be pre-screened to ensure that review criteria are addressed in the submission. The second stage will be a NIH-model study section review and ranking by the STSI Science Committee.
To learn how to enhance your application on the principles of community engagement, read “The Principles of Community Engaged Research Toolbox”.
Download the application form. Application Deadlines
Letter of Intent due – February 1 , 2016
Application deadline – March 14, 2016
Study Section Meeting – April 12, 2016
Notice of Awards – April 29, 2016
Project Period Award Date – May 1, 2016 to April 30, 2016
Letter of Intent (1 page maximum)
A Letter of Intent must include the following: 1) names and affiliations of the PI, co-investigator (if any), and clinical and translational research liaisons; 2) proposal title; 3) disease(s) targeted; and 4) project summary, including relevance to disease and health.
Please email the LOI to Michelle Miller at [email protected] by February 1, 2016.
Scripps Translational Science Institute
3344 North Torrey Pines Court, Suite 300, La Jolla, CA 92037
858-554-5775 / [email protected]
Acknowledgment of NIH/NCATS Funding on STSI Publications and Projects
Any publications, patents, projects, or other tangible outcomes that benefit from STSI resources using this scholar award must credit the STSI CTSA Grant as follows.
- This [publication, project] was supported by NIH/NCATS Grant Number KL2 TR001112. Its contents are the authors(tm) sole responsibility and do not necessarily represent official NIH views.